G'day from Oz sweet friends and welcome to my little bloggy home Down Under! Welcome to this week's Sundays Down Under Linky Party.
This link up keeps getting bigger and better each week and I am so grateful to YOU for your support! This week I've been super busy at school so have been a bit slack with my pinning. Incredibly, however, I'm still receiving heaps of great traffic from Pinterest...where would we be without that amazing site?!
I'm sure you would all agree that Pinterest is amazing source of traffic for our blogs and I LOVE pinning YOUR posts to my Sundays Down Under board.
Just imagine...I'm busy pinning away to find the perfect recipe for choc chip cookies and I land on YOUR gorgeous site. I click on the 'Pin It' button on your delicious image and to my dismay I find the words DSC-1234.jpg comes up. Alternatively, maybe the phrase Choc-Chip-1 pops up as the description. I have to either type in a good description for the image or just give up and move on. Now, not only have you as a fabulous food blogger missed out on getting your amazing recipe pinned, but, the magical search engine spiders have completely ignored your blog as well and found another picture to crawl and another blog to optimize!
This is why it's absolutely essential that you rename your images using keywords and good descriptions detailing what the image is about.
Here's the five best ways to make your images SEO rich:
1. If you look at the image above you will notice that when you hover over the image it says 5 best ways to make your images SEO rich via @natashainozblog. The Alt Text says Blogging Tips @ www.natashainoz.com
You'll see I included my twitter handle in the title. This is because many people share their pins on Twitter so that means if someone pins my image and they use my description I will be able to thank them on Twitter. I always try to add a twitter handle to images that I pin to let people know I love their work!
2. The Title text is designed to show up when you hover over an image and is also the description that is used when being pinned. When it comes to different browsers it's extra important that your title text is included. If there's no title text, there's no hover text and therefore there's no adequate description for Pinterest! The title text could be a call to action, your post's title or a sensory description of your delicious recipe!
3. Your Alt Text should be a simple and natural description of the photo. ALT stands for "Alternative Text" and should be one sentence of less than 10 words. Naturally, you should include a couple of the page's keywords. This ALT attribute could be very helpful for SEO because it helps your pictures appear in Google Image searches.
4. When labeling and saving your pictures create a title that describes the image in three words using those ever important key words. This will help tell Google about the picture. Also, ensure you separate words with a dash - don't use spaces or underscores.
5. The video below from Matt Cutts who leads the web spam team at Google, explains the importance of the ALT attribute. He reminds us that if someone is using a screen reader, their browser can show the alternative text instead. He also points out that using Alt text will help to optimize your site for Google.
For more Blogging Tips just click the button below.
+Christina Morley, +Fabiana R., +Patty Anderson, +Sue Loncaric, +Judy diyAddict, +Kelly Ninyette and +Fabiola Garcia.
Click the cover to read the latest issue of the Magazine!
Now, let's get this week's linky party started!
Link up a post about your favourite recipe, craft, idea, tutorial, Instagram pics, DIY projects or even your own linky parties. Just add the url of your particular blog post that you would like us to visit to the Linky tool below.
Feel free to grab the code for the Sundays Down Under button and add that to your post so that your readers might be able to find other bloggers who would like to join in!
I'd also be so grateful if you could share the linky party on your social media channels. Just click one of the buttons below!
You might find me partying at some fun linky parties this week. Click the button to find out where I like to party!